Education:B.A., Columbia International University; M.A., Trinity Evangelical Divinity School; Ph.D., University of Iowa
Phone:800-544-7223, ext. 6006
- American religious history with a focus on evangelicalism, Pietism, and Anabaptism
- History of the Moravian Church
- Brethren Intersections: History, Identity and Crosscurrents, Jared S. Burkholder, ed. (Brethren Encyclopedia Board, 2020).
- Becoming Grace: Seventy-Five Years on the Landscape of Christian Higher Education in America, Jared S. Burkholder and M.M. Norris, eds. (Winona Lake, IN: BMH Books, 2015).
- The Activist Impulse: Essays on the Intersection of Evangelicalism and Anabaptism, Jared S. Burkholder and David M. Cramer, eds. (Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2012).
Articles and Chapters
- “Unbecoming Heretics: Knowledge, Missionary Stories, and the Legacy of David Cranz in North America” in From Greenland’s Icy Mountains: David Cranz’s 1765 “Historie von Grönland“ and the construction of Knowledge about Greenland, Felicity Jensz and Christina Petterson, eds., (Penn State University Press, 2020).
- As on the day of Pentecost: Revivalism, John Greenfield, and the Memory of August 13th, Journal of Moravian History (Winter 2019).
- “Moravians Encounter New England’s Radical Evangelicalism,” Journal of Moravian History (Fall 2017).
- “True Confessions: Doing Institutional History at the Intersection of Brethrenism and Evangelicalism” Brethren Life and Thought Vol. 61 Supplement (Summer 2016).
- “Community, Family, and Individual in Brethren Spirituality” in Brethren Spirituality: How Brethren Conceive of and Practice the Spiritual Life (The Brethren Encyclopedia, 2015).
- “Pietist Prodigals and Brethren Identity: Joseph Müller, Sander Mack, and the Moravians,” Brethren Life and Thought (Spring 2013).
- “Neither Kriegerisch” nor “Quäkerisch”: Moravians and the Question of Violence in Eighteenth Century Pennsylvania,” Journal of Moravian History 12:2 (December, 2012).
- “The Persistent Legacy of ‘Heart Religion’: An Introduction to Pietism,” Reflections: Journal of the Missionary Church Historical Society 13-14 (2011-2012).
- “‘This Rends in Pieces all the Boundaries between Virtue and Vice:’ Tennentists, Moravians, and the Antinomian Threat in the Delaware Valley” Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography CXXXV:1 (January, 2011).
- “From the Atlantic World to the Pennsylvania Back Country: Rediscovering the Enigmatic Moravians” Fides et Historia 41:2 (Summer/Fall 2009).
- Alva J. McClain Award for Faculty Excellence, Grace College and Theological Seminary, 2015.
- Snowden Fellowship, Young Center for Anabaptist and Pietist Studies at Elizabethtown College, fall 2014.
- Graduate Fellowship in Religious Studies, University of Iowa, 2001
- Professor T.B. Madsen MA Thesis Award, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, 2000.
- “Before ‘true love waits’ there was Josh McDowell and Petra” Guest Post at The Anxious Bench, January 8, 2019.
- Panelist for “The Contemporary Role of Religion in Politics, Parts 1 and 2,” Politically Speaking, WNIT TV (Michiana PBS), November 30 and December 7, 2018.
- “To Celebrate or Not? Memory, Oppression and Luther’s Reformation,” Grace Connect (October 2017).
- “Spreading Light in a Dark World: The world wars inspired many Christian relief efforts,” Christian History Magazine 121 (Spring 2017).
- Interviewed/quoted in Sarah Eekhoff Zylstra, “Crisis Averted: Christian Colleges Avoid Split over Same-Sex Marriage in Christianity Today (October 26, 2015).
- C-SPAN broadcast of “Religious Pacifists and the American Revolution” for Lectures in History series, May 2015.
Blog posts referenced in:
- Kristin Kobes du Mez, Jesus and John Wayne: How White Evangelicals Corrupted a Faith and Fractured a Nation (Liveright/W.W. Norton, 2020).
- Matthew Avery Sutton and Darren Dochuk, Faith in the New Millennium: The Future of Religion and American Politics (Oxford University Press, 2016).