A Parent’s Guide to Winona Lake
Welcome to Winona Lake, IN! As a parent of a college student, you’re probably wondering what Welcome Weekend will look like for you. Between learning about Grace College, attending fun, informative events, and moving your student into his/her new dorm room, you’ll find yourself with some free time to explore the beautiful and industrious community that your child is about to call “home.”
Move-in day is just around the corner, and we want to offer you this helpful list of “must-visit” places while you’re here with us.
Visit the Lake
Pack your sunblock and swimsuit, and meet us at the lake! While summer is still here, head over to the lake to cool off and have fun. Our community has a wide variety of water activities for an afternoon of swimming and boating.
- The Winona Lake Limitless Park, beach, and splash pad are open to the public and loaded with family fun. The beachfront is also a perfect place to play a round of sand volleyball or spikeball. Better yet, this lake access is only a short walk from Grace College’s campus.
- The Lake House is the perfect place to stop on your way to the beach to rent a kayak, paddleboard, or pontoon. While you’re there, shop the clothing and footwear, catch up on your wakeboarding lessons, and sign up for a sunset boat cruise.
- Before you end your day at the lake, check out the fishing data and access points on the lake for a successful afternoon reeling in Walleye, Bass, Muskie, and more.
Shop the Village
If you prefer shopping trips over days on the water, start by visiting these unique Winona Lake shops. From soda and candy to beaded necklaces to sports gear, the shops in this community have a lot to offer.
- Pottery Bayou is a creative studio where you can paint your own pottery, learn about glass fusing, and attend local and holiday events. This is a great spot to spend an hour or two with your college student while simultaneously making them a hand-crafted send-off gift.
- If you’re craving a taste of art and Italy, then plan your next stop at Artista, a European art gallery that features original Venetian art. This artistic space is the perfect balance of cozy and classy for your favorite Welcome Weekend detours.
- LetterWood Paper Company has an extraordinary collection of stationery, journals, art prints, and more! All of which are made in-house or locally. Step into this studio, and shop through halls of painted flowers, encouraging wishes, and good vibes as LetterWood celebrates community and tells stories through paper and color.
Grab a Bite
…or sit down and stay awhile! There is a wide selection of places to eat in Winona Lake, and each of them are thoroughly enjoyed by the community. If you get hungry during your time off campus, here are some spots you should hit!
- Kelainey’s Ice Cream and Sandwich Shop is an all-time favorite at Grace College. If you’re looking for a quick diversion from the events of Welcome Weekend, take a walk to Kelainey’s and taste their premium hand-dipped ice cream.
- For a more upscale option, visit Cerulean for anything from sushi and salads to steak and pasta. Cerulean is a popular dining restaurant for Grace College students and the perfect place to buy your college student lunch or dinner.
- The Boathouse Restaurant offers not only a menu of seafood, ribs, and gourmet sandwiches, but also a spectacular view of the Lake. If you choose lakeside dining, your dinner will be paired with the lapping of the waves and the fresh lake breeze.
- And you KNOW college students need their coffee. Light Rail Cafe and Roaster is a perfect choice, complete with made-from-scratch pastries!
Have Some Fun in Winona Lake!
Winona Lake in northern Indiana never falls short when it comes to recreational and educational activities. Whether you’re looking to get some exercise or you want to learn more about Winona Lake’s history, these are great ways to get to know the area.
- Go biking! There are many different trails and paths that weave through the wooded parts of Winona Lake. Trailhouse Village Bicycles is a great place to start! You can rent from a variety of the best bicycle brands in the world with the help of their friendly, knowledgeable staff.
- Did you know that Billy Sunday’s headquarters were once here in Winona Lake? Because of his wife Helen’s wish to preserve his testimony, the Sunday home is now a museum where you can explore the living space and learn about his life. You can also take a virtual tour of the museum before you go.
This is just the beginning of Winona Lake, Indiana. If you’re interested in a more thorough shopping trip at the Village at Winona or if you want to learn more about the available lakeside recreation, there’s so much more to explore! Check out these resources for more information: